Pauline Merrill, MD
There are so many new and promising treatments within the field of retina, and Illinois Retina is leading the way in bringing these exciting options to our patients. I believe that patients should be involved in every aspect of their care and have a thorough understanding of all of their treatment alternatives.
Pauline T. Merrill, M.D., is a nationally recognized specialist in the medical and surgical treatment of diseases of the retina and vitreous. She also has particular expertise in the treatment of uveitis. Dr. Merrill is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago and a partner at Illinois Retina Associates.
A native of Memphis, Tennessee, Dr. Merrill graduated from Princeton University with a B.A. degree in biology. She earned her medical degree from the Washington School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri, where she also completed a master’s degree in biomedical sciences. Dr. Merrill completed an internship in internal medicine at Good Samaritan Hospital and an ophthalmology residency at Duke University Eye Center in Durham, N.C. She went on to complete a fellowship in vitreoretinal surgery at the Cullen Eye Institute at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, after which she joined Illinois Retina in 1997. She is certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
A highly regarded clinical researcher, Dr. Merrill has been principal investigator in a number of groundbreaking clinical trials over the years. Recent studies have included the Photodynamic Therapy With Visudyne, With Evaluation-Based Retreatment (CLOVER) Study, which she designed, and the NEI-sponsored MUST study.
Dr. Merrill has published numerous papers on topics such as ocular complications of AIDS, vitreous hemorrhage, uveitis and diabetic macular edema. She lectures extensively at national and international ophthalmology meetings and has written articles for several academicspecialty journals. Dr. Merrill has written chapters for two books, The Principles and Practice of Ophthalmology and Curbside Consultation in Retina. Dr. Merrill holds memberships in several professional societies and organizations, and has won numerous professional honors and awards, including the prestigious Heed Ophthalmology Fellowship Award from the Heed Foundation in 1996 and the Senior Honor Award from the American Society of Retinal Specialists. Dr. Merrill enjoys teaching uveitis and retina to residents and fellows, as well as lecturing to colleagues at meetings. Dr. Merrill has been listed in Best Doctors in America. She is on staff at several area hospitals and sees patients at Illinois Retina’s Oak Park and Chicago office locations, as well as the Rush Eye Center.
When she’s not working, Dr. Merrill enjoys sharing activities with her husband and two stepchildren, including bicycling, tennis, kayaking, skiing and scuba diving.
Clinical Trials/Research Studies
- Principal Investigator, CLOVER Study
- Principal Investigator, National Eye Institute’s Multi-center Uveitis Steroid Treatment Trial (MUST)
- Principal Investigator, Vitrase Trial for Vitreous Hemorrhage
- Co-investigator, Artificial Silicone Retina (ASR) Implant Study
- Co-investigator, Longitudinal Study of the Ocular Complications of AIDS (L-SOCA) Study
- Co-investigator, Complications of Age-Related Macular Degeneration Prevention Trial (CAPT)
- Co-investigator, Miravant Trial
- Co-investigator, Age-Related Eye Diseases Study (AREDS)
- Co-investigator, Isis Cytomegalovirus Study
- American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Archives of Ophthalmology
Societies and Organizations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retinal Specialists
- Chicago Ophthalmological Society
- Illinois Society for the Prevention of Blindness
- Vitreoretinal Surgery – Cullen Eye Institute
- Ophthalmology – Duke University Eye Center
- Internal Medicine – Good Samaritan Hospital
- M.D. – Washington University School of Medicine
- B.A. – Princeton University
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialists